Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda: Let Go of Regret and Move Forward With God

Person walking toward a bright path past signs reading Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda

Have you ever found yourself trapped in “coulda, shoulda, woulda”—replaying past decisions, missed opportunities, or painful mistakes? Regret can keep you living in yesterday, but God is calling you forward.

“Forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before...” — Philippians 3:13

Coulda.

Shoulda.

Woulda.

Three little words. But if we’re not careful, those three words can imprison us in one place:

Yesterday.

You cannot change THEN—but with God, you can choose what you do NEXT.

Why We Judge Yesterday With Today’s Wisdom

Sometimes we judge the person we were yesterday with the wisdom God has given us today.

Think about that.

The person you are today has experienced things the person you were back then had not experienced.

You have learned lessons.

You have survived disappointments.

You have recognized patterns.

You have discovered things about yourself.

And hopefully, you have grown closer to God.

So yes, perhaps you would make a different decision today.

But that's because today's you knows something yesterday's you didn't know.

That doesn't excuse bad decisions.

It doesn't eliminate consequences.

And it doesn't mean we shouldn't take responsibility when we've done something wrong.

It means we need to understand the difference between taking responsibility for our past and becoming imprisoned by it.

Take the Lesson and Leave the Regret

Your past can be a teacher without becoming your permanent address. If you need a reminder that God can meet you in the lowest place, read Your Lowest Place Is Not the End.

There may be something you need to repent of.

Repent.

There may be someone you need to forgive.

Forgive.

There may be something you need to make right.

Make it right.

There may be a lesson you need to learn.

Learn it.

But after you have done what God is asking you to do, don't build a house in yesterday.

Move forward.

Paul wrote about “forgetting those things which are behind” and reaching toward what was ahead.

That doesn't mean Paul suddenly developed amnesia.

Paul remembered his past.

But his past was no longer going to determine the direction of his future.

There's a difference between remembering where you've been and continuing to live there. No matter what yesterday looked like, remember: Your Story Is Not Over.

Escape the Prison of “If Only”

One of the most dangerous phrases attached to Coulda, Shoulda, and Woulda is:

“If only...”

If only I had listened.

If only I had waited.

If only I hadn't trusted them.

If only I had taken the opportunity.

If only I had started sooner.

But “if only” cannot change yesterday.

And every minute you spend trying to rewrite a chapter that has already been written is a minute you could be using to write what comes next.

Perhaps it's time to stop asking:

“What should I have done?”

And start asking:

“God, what do You want me to do now?”

Choose Your Next Step With God

Coulda looks backward.

Shoulda looks backward.

Woulda looks backward.

But there's another word I want you to remember:

NEXT.

What are you going to do next?

What is God asking you to do next?

What decision can you make today because of what yesterday taught you?

What relationship needs to change?

What dream needs to be revisited?

What apology needs to be made?

What door do you finally need to close?

What step of faith have you been postponing?

Yesterday may have given you the lesson.

Today gives you the opportunity to use it.

So perhaps it's time to retire three words:

Coulda.

Shoulda.

Woulda.

And replace them with one:

NEXT.

You cannot change THEN.

But with God, you can choose what you do NEXT. God can transform where you have been and lead you From the Gutter to the Kingdom.

A Prayer to Release Regret and Move Forward

Father,

I give You every Coulda, Shoulda, and Woulda I've been carrying.

Show me what I need to learn from my past without allowing me to become trapped there.

Where I was wrong, help me repent.

Where I was hurt, help me heal.

Where I failed, give me wisdom.

Where I missed an opportunity, help me recognize the opportunities You place before me today.

I cannot change yesterday.

But I can surrender today to You.

Give me the courage to stop looking backward and the faith to move toward what You have placed before me.

Father, show me what You want me to do...

NEXT.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.


Your Next Step

What is one Coulda, Shoulda, or Woulda you are ready to release?

Write it down. Pray over it. Learn from it. Then replace it with one word:

NEXT.

Declare this today:

I cannot change THEN—but with God, I can choose what I do NEXT.

If you are ready to stop living in yesterday, write NEXT in the comments.

If this devotional encouraged you, share it with someone who needs freedom from regret and the courage to move forward with God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ONE WORD

WHEN SECRETS SPEAK

IS YOUR FAITH BEING FED OR JUST FLUFFED?